Our Deacons:

-Terry Sacket
-Garrett Sherrill

Worship Schedule: Everyone Welcome

Sunday:
Bible Study 9:30 AM
Worship 10:30 AM.
Worship is also live-streamed.

We have age-level classes for Cradle Roll, Youth, Jr./Sr. high school and Adults. We also offer Jr. Worship service for children up to 5th grade

Sunday Bible Class 9:30 AM Revelation
Ladies Bible Study: Thursday 11:00 AM

Wednesday:
AGAPE 5:30 PM
(Drive-Up Meals & Pantry Available!

View Thread

Print Thread
Listening to God - By Norm Russell
Mark Magill
Listening to God - by Norm Russell

Jerusalem has been left in ruins by the Babylonian army. The remnant has been left in disarray and a void in leadership is being filled by three men who are commanders of what forces have been left. They requested that Jeremiah speak to God on their behalf to determine what they should do. Jeremiah 42:1-3.

Jeremiah, the prophet of God, agrees to do. He tells them "I will tell you the whole message which the Lord will answer you. I will not keep back a word from you" (42:4) They responded by saying "May the Lord be a true and faithful witness against us if we do not act in accordance with the whole message with which the Lord your God will send you to us. Whether it is pleasant or unpleasant, we will listen to the voice of the Lord our God to whom we are sending you, so it may go well with us when we listen to the voice of the Lord our God."
42:5-6.

This appears to be a simple request. Everything seems to be going in a proper direction. God has finally gotten their attention. But, it is not so. Jeremiah goes to God and receives a message for the people. He then informs the commanders that they were not to go to Egypt. That was not what the people wanted to hear and they told the prophet "You are telling us a lie." 43:1-3.

It seems that those who spoke to God's messenger already had their minds made up. They wanted confirmation of something they had already decided to do.

Does that all sound very familiar to you? There have been on more than one occasion when people were wanting to do something and would even ask God for direction only to find that their answer to their prayer was not what they wanted to hear. Couples seek counseling to save a marriage that they have already decided would be ended. People pray about a move to a different city and the decision has already been made. Some have chosen a path and later realized they needed to ask God, but the decision has been set in stone and no matter what they hear from God, it will not be changed.

It interests me that people tend to feel comfortable thinking and speaking for God. The phrases that are heard are "I don't think God . . . or I know God would want me to . . . what we fail to understand is that God has spoken. What we think really is of no consequence. The people refused to listen to Jeremiah and the end result was serious. I am convinced that as God's people, we must seek His will and then follow through with a sincere heart.

I pray you are doing so.
Norm Russell
-Posted by Mark R. Magill, Website Manager

http://www.wordforlife.com
Jump to Forum:
Render time: 0.11 seconds
8,891,259 unique visits